Saturday, January 29, 2022

Join us ONLNE ONLY Tomorrow (30 January 2022) for Sunday Morning Worship

Join us ONLNE ONLY Tomorrow (30 January 2022) for Sunday Morning Worship                                                             

                                                                            I am bending my knee

In the eye of the God

            who created me

In the eye of the Son

            who died for me

In the eye of the Spirit

            who moves me

In love and in desire.

For the many gifts

            you have bestowed on me

Each day and night

            each sea and land

Each weather fair

            each calm each wild

Thanks be to you O God

 

–J. Philip Newell, Celtic Prayers from Iona



Dear Beloved Parishioners,

Out of an abundance of caution and prudence with snow piling up, and reports of dangerous conditions continuing through the day, and frigid temperatures into tomorrow, we will only have an online, virtual service tomorrow at 10am which you may join via our church's YouTube channel. 

The link for our YouTube channel is: HERE and below:

I am also attaching a .pdf of the service bulletin for tomorrow's service, and am also including the readings below, if you have difficulty accessing the .pdf.

Be safe, stay warm, and keep one another in your prayers,

Peace and Blessings to you all,

In Christ's Peace, 


The Rev. Peter Carey, Rector

St. Mary's Episcopal Church - Cathedral Road

www.stmaryscathedralroad.com/


 St. Mary’s Episcopal Church  Cathedral Road    

30 January 2022 ~ Epiphany IV  


The Holy Eucharist 

Prelude Prelude Jacques Boyvin

God is love, Let heaven adore him Austin Lovelace  

Hymn 449 O love, how deep Deo Gracias 

The Holy Eucharist BCP 355 

Gloria S 280 Powell

The Lesson Corinthians 13:1-13

Psalm 71:1-6

The Gospel

The Sermon Luke 4:21-30 

Meditation Blessed Jesus, at thy word J.S. Bach

Prayers of the People BCP 387 

The Peace 

Offertory Hymn 440 Blessed Jesus, at thy word   Leibster Jesu, wir sind hier


The Great Thanksgiving 

Eucharistic Prayer A BCP 361 

Sanctus S 130                                                             Schubert

Fraction S 164 Schubert

Post-Communion Prayer BCP 365 

Hymn 379 God is love, let heaven adore him Abbot’s Leigh

Postlude O love, how deep Percy Whitlock


The Collect

Almighty and everlasting God, you govern all things both in heaven and on earth: Mercifully hear the supplications of your people, and in our time grant us your peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


1 Corinthians 13:1-13

If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.


Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end. For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.


Psalm 71:1-6

1 In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge; *

let me never be ashamed.

2 In your righteousness, deliver me and set me free; *

incline your ear to me and save me.

3 Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe; *

you are my crag and my stronghold.

4 Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked, *

from the clutches of the evildoer and the oppressor.

5 For you are my hope, O Lord God, *

my confidence since I was young.

6 I have been sustained by you ever since I was born;

from my mother's womb you have been my strength; *

my praise shall be always of you.




Luke 4:21-30

Jesus began to speak in the synagogue at Nazareth: "Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing." All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth. They said, "Is not this Joseph's son?" He said to them, "Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, 'Doctor, cure yourself!' And you will say, 'Do here also in your hometown the things that we have heard you did at Capernaum.'" And he said, "Truly I tell you, no prophet is accepted in the prophet's hometown. But the truth is, there were many widows in Israel in the time of Elijah, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, and there was a severe famine over all the land; yet Elijah was sent to none of them except to a widow at Zarephath in Sidon. There were also many lepers in Israel in the time of the prophet Elisha, and none of them was cleansed except Naaman the Syrian." When they heard this, all in the synagogue were filled with rage. They got up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they might hurl him off the cliff. But he passed through the midst of them and went on his way.


I am bending my knee

In the eye of the God

            who created me

In the eye of the Son

            who died for me

In the eye of the Spirit

            who moves me

In love and in desire.

For the many gifts

            you have bestowed on me

Each day and night

            each sea and land

Each weather fair

            each calm each wild

Thanks be to you O God

 

–J. Philip Newell, Celtic Prayers from Iona






Saint Mary’s Episcopal Church ☩ 

630 East Cathedral Road, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19128

www.stmaryscathedralroad.com

stmarycathrd@gmail.com 

215.482.6300

Gratitude ☩ 

If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough. ~Meister Eckhart 


Parish Prayer List ☩ 

Xander, Bob, Laura, Barbara, Jack, Roxane, Mary, Mary Lou, Jennie, Marietta, Gail,

C’ia, Connie, Sharon, Adele, Mark, Emily, Harold, Virginia, Megheara


If you would like to have us add someone to the Prayer List, please let Jane Cassel

or our Rector, Peter Carey, know. We move people off the prayer list every three

months unless specifically requested to leave people on our list. 


Vestry ☩ 

We are in need of new Vestry members who would join this important leadership

body of the parish in February 2022.  Please consider nominating yourself for Vestry

or recommending someone else to serve in this ministry.


Serving in Worship ☩ 

We always welcome new folks who may want to serve in our worship services as

readers, ushers, and altar assistants.  We would love to have you participate in the

leading of worship.  Please consider joining us.