Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Prayers and Psalms


 


Friends,


Good morning on this bright and sunny day! 


I am praying for each of you, and for our city, and for our nation on this day.  Remembering always God's prevenient and loving Grace in our lives.  I wanted to share the words of Psalm 19, as well as Psalm 121.  Psalm 19 came up today in the daily cycle of the Psalms, and Psalm 121 is one of my own favorites. I thought they were a powerful reminder sof God's love and ongoing care for us, no matter what.


Peace and Blessings to you,





Fourth Day: Morning Prayer


19   Cæli enarrant


1 The heavens declare the glory of God, *

  and the firmament shows his handiwork.


2 One day tells its tale to another, *

  and one night imparts knowledge to another.


3 Although they have no words or language, *

  and their voices are not heard,


4 Their sound has gone out into all lands, *

  and their message to the ends of the world.


5 In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun; *

  it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;

  it rejoices like a champion to run its course.


6 It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens

          and runs about to the end of it again; *

  nothing is hidden from its burning heat.


14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my

heart be acceptable in your sight, *

  O LORD, my strength and my redeemer.



121   Levavi oculos


1 I lift up my eyes to the hills; *

  from where is my help to come?


2 My help comes from the LORD, *

  the maker of heaven and earth.


3 He will not let your foot be moved *

  and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.


4 Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel *

  shall neither slumber nor sleep;


5 The LORD himself watches over you; *

  the LORD is your shade at your right hand,


6 So that the sun shall not strike you by day, *

  nor the moon by night.


7 The LORD shall preserve you from all evil; *

  it is he who shall keep you safe.


8 The LORD shall watch over your going out and

your coming in, *

  from this time forth for evermore.



The Rev. Peter M. Carey, Rector
St. Mary's Episcopal Church - Cathedral Road